This week was very fun and interesting in RTH 252! Each group got to test their ability at creating an art project using tape art. The project had to relate to the theme of “The Great Outdoors”. My group created a ‘dream vacation’ out of a palm tree and an ocean view. The palm tree’s trunk was made from a stack of plastic cups and the branches were made from our group members arms. We also created tape balls that represented coconuts and used a few decorative things to make it look nicer. The ocean view scene/background was created by using painters tape. Before the project, each group was also assigned a population in which they were to think of ways that tape art would be beneficial for this population. We also were to think about things that, as facilitators, we should be aware of while doing this activity with this population. My group was assigned Physical Rehabilitation. We discussed that the movements used to create the art project would be beneficial with both fine and gross motor control. We also discussed that one of the benefits for this population would be for the clients to be able to ‘take a min vacation’ in their minds, and relax for a while. I really enjoyed this activity because it was nice to see what art projects other groups made, as well as the ideas that everyone came up with as uses for tape art in therapy.
For the remainder of the class, each group was given ten minutes to come up with two activities using an Earth Ball. The activities had to be for two different populations and had to include three goals that would improve their physical, social, emotional, cognitive, or leisure abilities. My group came up with “Earth Ball Bowling” and “Earth Ball Obstacle Course”. We said that “Earth Ball Obstacle Course” would be a good activity for Physical Rehabilitation populations and would improve their physical movements, help them communicate with each other, which would improve their social skills, and they would improve their cognitive skills while they were planning on the next move that they needed to make. We said that “Earth Ball Bowling” would be good to use with At-Risk Youth because it would require them to communicate and work as a team which would improve their social skills, it would provide them with a new leisure resource, and it would challenge them physically to maneuver the ball towards the pins.
From these activities I gained a lot of new resources that I could use in the future. I got a lot more ideas on how each of these activities can be adjusted to fit a specific population that I am working with. I also learned how these activities can benefit specific populations based on the goals you have for them to achieve. I also learned that there are many ways to being creative and that you just have to believe in yourself and explore your creativity. This week I learned that I am a creative thinker, but I am not the best at expressing it in projects. I know that I can come up with really creative ideas, it’s just that I struggle with getting those ideas onto paper or to form a structure/project. My way to “strive for excellence” this week is to explore my creative side more so I can enhance it, rather than continuing to say, “But I am not creative”.


No comments:
Post a Comment