This week the two RTH 252 classes combined for the period. We began class by each member sharing a song they chose to present with the class. The Sing a Song activity was really fun to participate in because I was able to see a different side of my peers. Some people were very creative in the way they presented their songs which gave me a lot of ideas that I could incorporate with songs in the future. I also was able to learn a lot of new songs that I can use with different activities. Doing this activity really helped me lower my guard and be more open with the class. I was a lot less nervous while presenting my song, which really surprised me because singing in front of others is one of the things I dread most. Now, I know that I am capable of putting myself out there and can sing a song in front of people that I don’t know very well. This activity was a great idea and I believe everyone enjoyed it.
After the Sing a Song activity, the group got to know each other a little better as we participated in a beach ball activity. The group passed a beach ball with random questions written on it around the circle and whichever question your right pointer finger landed on, you had to answer. This activity allowed me open up and to get to know fun facts about my classmates. I can definitely see myself using this as an icebreaker activity.
Next, Professor Quackenboss opened up the floor for us to ask her any questions that we wanted to. Being able to hear the different experiences that she has gone through and what she liked and didn’t like about them really helped put things into perspective. Many of us are going to go through TR jobs that we aren’t going to like as well as ones that we are going to love. All of these experiences will help us find what we truly love doing and will make us better people. I liked this activity because it was great to hear all of the places Professor Quackenboss has worked and how she has gotten to where she is today, although her job now is not in the TR field.
For the second half of the class period, we did a couple circle activities that helped illustrate common ways that we, as students, may deal with stress, and possible healthier options that we could use instead. These activities also helped us look at different perspectives of how the activity could be performed with a certain type of disability. This really gave me some great ideas on how I could assist someone with a specific disability so that they can still participate in the activity. We also talked a lot about the importance of debriefing after activities and how it helps relate the activity to different aspects of the participant’s life. Debriefing helps with taking an activity and being able to analyze and view it from different perspectives. It also allows for participants to share their thoughts and feelings, and gain an understanding of what the activity was about. Debriefing also allows for the facilitator to make sure that each participant is walking away from the activity with the experience and concept that they were hoping for.
This week I learned that I am capable of facing a fear and can sing in front of a group that I barely know. I also learned that I do not deal well with stress and that there are other ways in which I can help myself work through it. This week my way of “striving for excellence” was to present a song to the class that hopefully not many knew and therefore it could be a resource to them as well. I also was working hard to take in all of the creative types of songs that others presented so that I will have a collection of great resources to turn to when I need them for activities in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment