Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Week Five

This week our class headed to the golf course to learn about Adaptive Golfing. Paige, a representative from Sister Kenny Rehabilitation Institute in Minnesota, gave a presentation to the class. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from this class, but I came away from it knowing quite a bit about adaptive techniques for golfing. I thought it was great that we got to try out the adapted clubs, as well as experiment golfing from a seated position, one-handed, and using our least dominant hand. I thought the adaptive golf cart was also pretty unique and good to learn about. It was great to see that someone was out using the cart while we were there practicing! From this class I took away a lot of information that I could see myself using to help people. I see myself using these techniques not only in my future career, but also as suggestions for people that I run into who have given up on golfing because they thought there was no other choice but to. I also learned that you don’t have to be an expert to help someone use adaptive equipment to golf. I found it actually works well when you are struggling just as much as they are, as it makes them feel more comfortable.

What I learned about myself this week is that I really do enjoy golfing and that I should give it a chance. I have always told myself it wasn’t worth exploring because it is boring and I am awful at it, but how am I to become better at something if I don’t practice! I have made it a goal of mine, for me to give golfing a try next summer no matter if it takes me the whole day to make it through the course. I also have learned that it is good to get experience in all different types of sports and activities because it helps build your skills in different areas as well as make you more marketable. Any experience is good to have because you never know what you will be faced with in the future. My way to “strive for excellence” this week was to get the most out of the presentation from Paige and practice all of the adaptive techniques that she showed us so that I could demonstrate them if needed.

At the end of class, because we got out early, we were told to use the remaining time by doing an exciting leisure activity. I am happy to say that I was able to go see the Eli Young Band, Jerrod Niemann, and Dierks Bentley perform at the La Crosse Center! It was such a great way to end a great class period!

No comments:

Post a Comment