Monday, November 14, 2011

Week Ten

This week we did Hooping in RTH 252. We began class by learning about hooping and all of the different ways that people incorporate it into their lives. We then broke into our two sections and began making our own hula hoops out of poly tubing. We cut the tubing to the length that we wanted it to be and then heated the ends with a blow dryer, inserted a connector, and pushed the two ends together. Finally, we could decorate our hula hoop with colored duct tape. After our hoop was done, we had time to practice our hula hooping skills. We then took a group picture and headed outside to do a group hooping activity.

This class was pretty interesting for me because I never expected hooping to be such a sensation. I learned a lot about hooping from this class session. I learned that hooping is beneficial for everyone and is not just an activity for young girls. I learned that hooping is more than just spinning a hoop around your waist; it is a great way for self-expression. I also learned that hooping is a great form of physical exercise. This week I learned that although I hadn’t hula hooped since I was around 8 years old, that with a little practice I am able to pick up the skill again. I also learned that I enjoy hooping much more now that I am older, and that I will use hooping from now on as a way to relieve stress. My way of “striving for excellence” this week was to keep an open mind about hooping and all of the possible ways it can be used throughout one’s lifetime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment